Wednesday 5 August 2015

WE ALL GROW UP BUT NOT ALL OF US GET OVER IT…



Growing up, I was this kind of kid that could not fit in any group of kids. I mean the unwanted type, the type that if I really played it was around boys. Hehe you know what that meant ….”unacheza na wavulana” the girls that time would say if you were in a position like mine.

I think at the time, I either did not care at all about what they said…..or worse still they never said it coz I was just one of the “boys” literally…..ouch right??  Imagine I just fit right there minus the toughness of cos.
I remember my best game was “gondi-sinya” the Mathare sheng for “police and robber” The game involved running around wanting to catch thieves… I always wanted to be a cop , in the game ofcos and catch the bad guys… And when I had extra energy I longed to be the wanted thief who broke free my fellow thieves from prison… Trust me it was a lot of fun…. Now I know we played that game because it was the thing my neighbourhood knew really very well and was accustomed to.
This is when I was around like 9 or 10years old……

As  I grew older I grew “fatter”  now apart from playing with boys  I earned myself another title “kanono” The worst time of my life. I remember I weighed around 60kgs when I was eleven……I know that is quite some chunk of flesh. Now I couldn’t play with most people, because of my weight , I could easily make a team lose…… That is sad …. I know, right??

But yeah that was my life, and a young age … I knew I had to fight my way in any field…. Probably this looks like a good thing… it is not.. a kid that age is supposed to be fought for… by parents older siblings…unlucky or luckily for me I am the first born.
I think the good thing my fighting gave me is I was able to become the best girl in my class as far as academics is concerned.. yeeei!!!!!!..

So I was the unwanted bright girl…..at least that was something … right?? Hahaha..not forgetting the fat girl in a crowd of boys…n this time competing with like 8 boys in class….honestly that was fun for me…. I could beat them in grammar, CRE and general knowledge thanks to my dad and the time I spent burying my head in novels…..

I remember I always knew I would go to Campus …. I don’t know how , but that little faith kept me going…..

I look back at my life and I smile… I smile not because I was strong enough…. Not because I am very lucky I dint get married like most of the girls in my year or get pregnant….(ofcos this was a norm in my neighbourhood)…..I smile because  Christ has a purpose for me…. That’s why I came out unscathed…… “That  I will live to proclaim the works of my Lord”  Psalm 118: 17

And wow don’t I love my life now?……It is when it the most dark that light shines bright….. Christ made sure that amidst my small problems I still shone bright for his glory.. and I give him glory for that.. Now and forever more..

Love
Kateblessingjoe                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment