Wednesday 20 July 2016

My Christian Journey


Like most Kenyan children, I was raised in a Christian home. Sunday school and church was almost a norm. This, anyone would think that it was automatic for a child with a Christian background would end up a Christian.
 It was not the case for me since; it was until the age of 15 when I decided to give my life to Christ. Initially I had sort of done that when I was in primary school, but this was different, it was a sober commitment that I was making. I decided to surrender my teenage worries and burden to Christ.
High-school was not as much a challenge but it had issues of its own. My struggle then was learning how to stand firm for Christ. It is in this stage where one often seeks to belong to a group, wants to identify with the popular kids in school and also stay relevant. Thankfully some high-school kids were young yet mature enough to know what to stand for. Those kinds of people are the ones God used to keep me in check at that time. It is from high-school that I realised the importance of being accountable to people. They do not only keep one in check but are also a fellowship where, we get healing. This is as the bible teaches “Confess your sins one to another that you may be healed”. I am always grateful that as a young believer I had people to cling to, and to walk with in the ups and downs of my young life then.
I have been a student most of my life, therefore my life is centred on school. Campus life was somewhat challenging. With campus, comes freedom that often one longs for. Great anxiety and curiosity clouded my young mind. I honestly believe that the Lord in His divine plan for my life had a reason why I was to land in Karatina University.
My first year of study was a rather “confused” one. By this I mean as far as ministry is concerned. Yes, I was found in Church, but this was not the kind of Church I was used to, the few months I was at home. This was different, the CU. It is a community of students from different Christian denominations. I took time to understand how things in the Christian Union were run. Learning why we were led by a committee and not a pastor, why I would not bring my church doctrine in the CU. Eventually I appreciated the CU and most of all the fact that its sole source of authority was the Bible.
It was in campus that my Christian life experienced tremendous growth. I loved ministering in the Music department. I joined Choir and Praise teams right in first year, yes in the midst of the “confusion”. I thank God for the CU officials (as we called them ) that I found. They held me closely. I remember one Josephine Githutha, who currently works with FOCUS (Fellowship of Christian Unions) Kenya. This lady held my hand, during the time she was around, to this date she “keeps tabs” on me.  She always had with an encouraging word for me. I can mention others who even though did not serve in the Christian Union committee they were sisters and brothers who were true believers in Campus. Faith Ngeru, Emma Nduta, Celine Adhiambo, Nehemiah Rotich are just but a few who I looked up to and still do in my walk of salvation.
In Campus, I also got an opportunity to serve in the Christian Union as a Music Coordinator. I bless God, because that moment I felt inadequate, but His word encouraged me that He perfects the imperfect. When I realised that I could be used for a noble purpose in the Kingdom.
While also in campus the Lord put a desire in me for the Muslim world. I desired to share the Gospel to my Muslim friends in Campus. In the process of loving them and sharing with them, I got to learn about Christian apologetics. A brother who worked with FOCUS Kenya by the name Charles Githaiga was used by God as a teacher in the Christian Union. This brother was instrumental in nurturing the desire in me to reach Muslims. It was then that I understood that the great commission requires total surrender and commitment to Christ. I always thought evangelism was about preaching, but now I know there is more to that. There are other needs that people face apart from knowing Christ. If as a Christian I would be in a position to meet these needs then the world would have a room to get to know Christ and His purpose for the world.
It is for this reason; I became a red-cross volunteer and later a leader in Campus. I decided to serve in what the bible calls “the pure and undefiled religion” James 1:27

Today I am serving in the youth ministry at Full-gospel Zimmerman Worship Kenya. I bless God
Love
Kateblessingjoe

No comments:

Post a Comment